Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Roti Canai

I really should be writing about my unfinished winter stories (this time about the frozen canal . . .)  I know. . .  I know. . . , it's already spring. . .  the snowdrops have come and gone , the crocuses are wilting and practically squashed in the field. . . and I have yet to finish my winter stories!!!

Well. . . that's me, I do tend to write whatever comes to mind. I do have other interesting stories for example our recent weekend trip to the oldest city in Germany, Trier which happens to have ruins from the Roman times. But no. . . instead I am writing about my attempt at making roti canai.

Yeah. . . roti canai. I never bothered to learn to make it because for one thing, I can get the fozen ones from the Oriental shop. No hassle no bustle, just fry them in the pan. But then lately I found the frozen ones are no longer to my liking, it's just not the same thing as the fresh ones from the stall. . .

Then, one day I came across a fellow blogger Karimhanim making her own "roti canai", see here. Looking at her recipe, I thought "hmmm not that difficult it seems. . . " So, I made a mental note to try it one of these days. Then last week, I came across a forum where a lady mentioned that she made her "roti canai" using bread maker(BM). Now that really piqued my interest because you see, I do not like kneading . . . so if BM can be used, then it sure helps a lotttt. . .

So here is my first ever "roti canai"




It's not that difficult afterall. . .  Somehow I thought making "roti canai" needs a lot of strenght. . .  you know the way some of them sweat over the fire. . .  I remember how we used to make jokes when I was younger, it's the sweat that made it yummy (disgusting joke I know. . . )

Of course my "tebar" needs a lot of improvement. . .  there were a lot of tears/holes in my roti when I "tebar". . .  but who cares???

BM making its job. . .
Cover and leave it for 6-8 hours
I pressed it as thin as possible on the pan so it would become bigger . . .
Eaten with "kari daging kerisik"

It's a nice recipe, using a combination of ghee, oil and eggs. Even though I used only one egg (and not two as required), the taste and texture was still nice. Next time, I will leave it covered overnight. I found that the dough becomes softer the longer you leave it. Thank you to the lady who posted the recipe, unfortunately I do not remember the name of the forum, but I did write down her name and that is Catlady.

24 comments:

Cheqna said...

I.A dear,

From canal to roti canai eh? Hehehe...

Congrats, it looks nice. Sure it taste yummy too.. I'd tried it years ago, but since its much easier to get/eat it here, I' just buy it..after all makan one or most two je..:-D

But its getting expensive now..mmm..

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aaaahh....trust someone who loves cats to also come up with superb roti canai recipe.... cicah kari kambing....yummmmm..... purrr...meow!

Treat and Trick said...

Roti canai turned out fabulous! Can I join you!

lady lavender said...

waahhh kalo dah first attempt mcm ni kira dah menjadi sgt dah ni :-))

marinahunny said...

saya slalu pikir buat roti canai ni susah giler, rupanya blh pakai BM ek hahaha. cantik la dh jadi 1st attemp :)

Syigim said...

you. made. roti canai!!!! WOW! u give semangat to all the other expats like me to try make msian food at home!

n it looks like any roti canai kat mamak2 tu! good job!

i amsterdam said...

Cheqna,

I was really excited with the outcome... next I'm going to try wholemeal ones!! Must search for the recipe... To be honest, the amount of ghee and oil that goes in roti canai frightens me!!

i amsterdam said...

Mama Cats,

Hahhh... cat lovers are surely gifted!!! Hmmm kari kambing is even better...

i amsterdam said...

Treat n Trick,

Do come and join me!! :D

i amsterdam said...

Lady Lavender,

Boleh tahan la.. for first timer, of course mana sama ngan "kedai papa LL" kan hehehe...

i amsterdam said...

Marinahunny,

Yang susahnya nak tebar tu, tapi tak kisah.. stretch it sikit2, pas tu tarik ke atas, doh akan jadi stretchy and thin, pastu gulung... ala hentam je.. mine still ok hahaha...

i amsterdam said...

Syigim,

It's better than the frozen ones!! Give it a try.. seronok juga cuba menebar ni.

I will update the recipe later, i think it's a good one.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

your roti canai looked alright, mild burn...... hundred times better than any mamak stall!!

i amsterdam said...

Bangchik dan Kakdah,

hehehe TQ.. TQ.. mana boleh lawan tauke mamak !!!

hanim said...

Dear IA; U mengimbas kembali roti canai yg my mother buat dulu2, malam uli tepung dan siap leperkan kat dulang dan tarik keliling sikit2 sampai lebar.
Tahniah kat u atas kegigihan membuat roti canai ni.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Oh nak kena cari breadmaker juga ni. Malas nak uli hehehe....wah bast makan roti canai home-made.

i amsterdam said...

Sekadar Coretan,

Alhamdulillah.. sekarang ada la semangat nak buat lagi :D

i amsterdam said...

MKG,

The wonders of BM... next on the agenda roti naan :D

Wan Sharif said...

Alhamdulillah.. Nampak gambar first attempt tu dah boleh qualify untuk buka restaurant ;)). Cerita begini lah yang menaikkan semangat pembaca untuk terus mencuba.. Tentu lebih berselera.. Air tangan sendiri.. lebih lebih lagi baroqah yang menanti.. kerana iprocessnya pasti dimulai dengan Bismillah.. mungkin juga di selangi selawat dan zikir yang ringan

Abu Ikhlas said...

Look very tasty n delicious

i amsterdam said...

Wan Sharif,

Welcome to our humble blog.

For a first timer..Alhamdulillah.. Nak buka restoran??? hahaha... jangannn... :D

i amsterdam said...

Saudara Abu Ikhlas,

Alhamdulillah... boleh tahan la untuk tekak perantau..

Azrey Rozie Eiman said...

Wahhh! I should try it too :)

i amsterdam said...

My dear Azrey R. Eiman,

It's not that difficult and it doesn't matter if u don't know how to tebar.. trust me :D